mercredi 3 octobre 2007

LET'S TALK ABOUT MY SCHOOL - Mrs Cherubin, French teacher in Eleanor Roosevelt Highschool

Hi everybody! After contributing to your school blog for about a month, I decided it was time to send you an article of my own and some pictures of our school in Maryland. It is a high school situated in Greenbelt, Maryland, half an hour from Washington, DC. It is simply the best school in the county and one of the best schools in the state of Maryland. Can you hear how proud I am of my school??? Well, there is a lot to be proud of. It is called Eleanor Roosevelt High School. It is a magnet school, which means that we offer a Science and Technology magnet program for very talented students. There are also a lot of students who are in a comprehensive program with regular classes.

The students are very lucky to be at our school. They have the opportunity to work with some of the finest teachers in the state and participate in a lot of activities. We have the finest music program you could ever imagine. We have various bands and orchestras, not to mention the various choirs.
There are hundreds of after school clubs that students can join and, for the most athletic ones, we have sports teams that compete at the regional, county and state levels.
Students who first come to ERHS are inducted to the "Roosevelt Way, The right way of doing things!" It is not just about academics, but also about building a character and continuing the tradition of community based service that has shaped the lives of many students who came through our school.
If you think I am bragging then you need to spend a few days at our school to realize that we work harder than anybody else and, may be not all the students appreciate it, but after they leave they tend to come back. They recognize the uniqueness of their school and they want to be a part of it again!

Mme Cherubin

10 commentaires:

The Cassignol Writers a dit…

Dear Anna-Maria ,
Thank you ever so much for this message which allows us all to know more about your school and understand this particular spirit that your students nourish thanks to so many diverse events and activities !! I wish our students felt as proud of their school as your students. But here, it's quite different, maybe because the school doesn't offer so much to the students. Everything is focused on the curriculum and the students' results and few of us try to establish a different kind of relationship with their students. Precisely, this blog is an endeavour to do something different and create a sort of bonding between my students and me but also between the students themselves.And this is kind of working...
Mrs SAULIERE

Anonyme a dit…

It's so impressive !! It's big and... it's seems really difficult !!

The photos are very beautiful.

What can I say ? WWAAAOOUUUUHH !!!


Lucie

Anonyme a dit…

Mme Cherubin wrote:

Dear Lucie,

have you ever thought about spending one year of your high school at an American school? It would be great for your English, but it would also offer you a great deal of new experiences and you could make new friends. You should inquire about exchange programs offered in France for high school students. I know we have an exchange student from France at our school this year. I have not met her yet, but I will try to find out who she is.
Maybe Mme Sauliere could help you to find out what you need to do. I am sure you have to apply and probably write an essay. How are your grades? Just some food for thought!!!!!

Anonyme a dit…

Mme Cherubin also wrote:

Well Mme Sauliere,
I am very glad to bring my little contribution to your blog. It is amazing how fast students catch on if we offer them a forum to express themselves. I understand why so many young people are bored in school nowadays! I would be toooooo!!!!!! It is up to us to deviate from the old tracks and make connections between the curriculum material and the outside world.
There are many teachers who try and students respond positively!!! I salute your efforts!!!
Mme Cherubin

Anonyme a dit…

Mme Cherubin wrote:

If you want to know more about our school you can visit the blog lyceeerhs.skyrock.com and view some pictures or read the articles posted. You can also contribute your comments.

Anonyme a dit…

I really want to do an exchange to spend 1 month in England or United States because I want to ameliorate my english. I have some friends in the two countries but I think I'll speak French with them if I go there. And I have a friend in Bordeaux who wants also to go in a English-speaking Country.

In 2 hours, I will have one of your students like penfriend ! I'm really excited and I think it's a good idea. I saw a friend of another class who had a penfriend (a girl) who plays basketball. It's surprising because in France, nobody learn basketball but I know that in United States, it's a commun sport and for the girls too !

Talk to you soon...

LUCIE

P.S : I went to your blog lyceeerhs.skyrock.com and I posted a comment !

Anonyme a dit…

Great Lucie!! I will visit the blog and read your comments. You only want to stay one month? That is not a lot! You should stay the whole year. So far, I have had exchange students from Germany, Japan, Spain, Brazil and Finnland. Last year, I had three students: ne girl from Japan, one from Spain and one from Finnland. My students really liked them all. They were great kids. They improved their English and made lots of new friends.
So, think about it! Are you the adventurous type or rather the type that wants to stay close to home? In that case, maybe one month is enough!
Mme Cherubin

Anonyme a dit…

I think you're right it's a good school

Anonyme a dit…

Hum...I think just 1 month because if I stay a whole year, I will have to make up for the french school year. There is also two important tests so I think I have to stay at Bordeaux even though I dream of one year in USA. And I think I'm too immature to do a travel alone during one year...

That it !

I have a penfriend whose name is Clark Valentine Jackson ! I hope we'll be goods penfriends ! She painted me a Big flower on her letter =D and she seems to be very nice ! I wrote my letter and I decorated it... Yes, with my friends (girls only) we think that it's the minimum to pay heed to our letters because it show that we are interested in our mail and it's not what we do because we have to do it. Don't you ?

Lucie

Unknown a dit…

Dear Lucie,
Clark is a very nice student. She is very smart and is learning French quite well. She plays in the school orchestra, I think she plays violin. I am sure you will become good friends.
Mme Cherubin